Finishing Touches

After trimming the board and working around the strum hollow, it’s time to add the string guide near the nut.

fingerboard-glue3

string-guides

After doing some final staining and a coat of polyurethane, I’m ready to attach the strings.

nutbridge

And here’s the finished project:

finished

Installing Frets

After cutting the walnut fingerboard and sanding it carefully to fit the existing fretboard, I used my 1/100 ruler to mark the fret pattern for a 28″ scale pattern. It’s a very delicate operation so I can’t rush it. I then use my Japanese fret saw to cut the frets.

scoring-fretssawing-frets

Once the frets are pressed into position, I must file down the edges flush with the fingerboard.

installed-frets

At this point, I glue the fingerboard to the fretboard using clamps and my homemade jig and let it dry.

fingerboard-gluefingerboard-glue2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Preliminary Work

After receiving permission to continue, I removed the frets and sanded down the fretboard, removing the previous slots and preparing it for the new fingerboard.

fret-removeslots-removed

Meanwhile, I trimmed and sanded the new fingerboard to prepare for fret installation.

 

The latest Project

full-picThis one may prove to be a bit of a challenge. Elsie had asked if I could lower the action on a dulcimer she had been given. On closer inspection, this instrument really needed some TLC to be fully playable.

It has a really beautiful shape and a nice sound, but the fretboard was a bit of a head-scratcher.

middle

It appears that this dulcimer was designed to be played only on the melody string with a wooden noter–the traditional style (and the way I normally played for about 20 years). The seventh fret was a half fret, making it unusable for chording.

tuning-pegsnut-grooves

The scroll head is interesting, but the current nut is covering an old zero fret slot and the strings are cutting into the end of the fretboard–the same thing is happening at the tailstock as well.

fret-square2fret-square

Several of the frets themselves are not square; this is not so much of a problem if you only play on the melody string, but becomes problematic while chording.

fret-placementwalnut

Finally, the scale is strange and the frets are somewhat misaligned. It’s technically 26.375″, but the bridge is set closer to a 28″ scale. The 2nd fret (above) is close to correct, but the third fret is set for a 28″ scale.

The good thing is, the fretboard is nicely flat, so my suggestion is to create a new walnut fingerboard (above, right) with a new bridge and nut.

Complete!

Dulcimer #45 is complete, as of this morning. The tuning pegs are Grover Sta-tite friction pegs and the strings are Vega banjo strings.completed 45

Here I am with the new baby:

Finished Tim

And here is Lynn, the proud owner and co-designer:

Lynn PlayingLynn Pose

Home Stretch

Now the major pieces are attached:

Heads and tailsThe head and tail stock are secured to the soundboard.

 

 

 

 

 

Top and BackThe back is added.

 

 

 

 

 

 

glued upTrimming up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

side 1Adding the sides.

 

 

 

 

Working on the Soundboard

Working late last night, I cut the sound holes and secured the fretboard. It’s coming along…

Holes

fretboard install

Moving Along

Once again, playing catch-up with this posting–working on the dulcimer around other projects and diversions–these are snapshots from the past week. I’m excited to get to the point where I don’t stop until I have to let glue dry.

bookmatching

This is the top (soundboard) re-sawn and bookmatched.

 

 

 

 

 

peg head raw

 

 

The peg head in it’s raw form on the band saw is ready to be cut to shape.

 

 

 

 

peg head shaped

 

The peg head is shaped and partially sanded.

 

 

 

 

pieces

Jumping way ahead, the back and top are cut and shaped; the peg head and tail stock are mostly finished.

 

 

 

test fit

 

Here are the pieces stacked loosely into place.

 

 

 

 

strips installed on back2

Strips are added to the back to support the sides.

 

Fretting, Gluing and Shaping

This entry is actually several day’s work put together. Wednesday afternoon was my last day of school, so my calendar just cleared up a bit.

Fret cutThe fretboard requires the most precise work. The board is complete, and the rough shapes of the peg head and tailstock are cut and clamped.

 

 

 

 

 

fretboard

head and tail clamps

 

New Project

After she saw Jean’s new dulcimer, Lynn and I have worked out most of the details of her new teardrop instrument. Here is the first post of the initial sketches and raw fretboard. Lynn1Lynn2