Most commented posts

  1. The Lucky Diamond Dulcimer — 2 comments
  2. Fretting, Gluing and Shaping — 1 comment
  3. Finishing the Top — 1 comment
  4. Sanding and Shaping — 1 comment
  5. Diversions — 1 comment

Author's posts

Winding it up

After the finish had dried, I applied a coat of paste wax to help protect the instrument. I installed the tuning pegs and added the strings. (I use medium gauge Vega banjo strings). After a little fine tuning and bridge adjustment, she was all done! Even though the actual time for construction stretched for a …

Continue reading

Finishing Touches

At last–we have reached the final stage of construction. At the suggestion of the client, I rounded the peg head and attached it. I always do the final sanding of the instrument by hand, because when the finish is applied, there’s no going back. The bottom photo is the first coat of the hand-rubbed polyurethane. …

Continue reading

Sides and Detail Sanding

I had intended to be further along than this. Unfortunately, this time of the year brings band and choral concerts as well as my own performance in a faculty show. So I pick at the dulcimer as I can. These shots represent the weekend work and tonight’s work on the peg head.  

Heads and Tails

Shaped the head and tail blocks and glued them into position. Then attached the back, insuring that the flanges line up perfectly so that the sides will be nice and square.                                  

Finishing the Top

Used razor files to finish the sound holes and attached the fretboard.

Top and Sound Holes

Finished sanding the top and began cutting out the patterns for the sound holes. Using the scroll saw, I cut out the sound holes in the top.                 They still need some final shaping before moving on to the next step.

Sanding and Shaping

I finally had some time to work in the shop this weekend. I have cut the back and top to shape, then focused my attention on the back. The fretboard is not attached yet–the sound holes must be cut first. I thinned it evenly and attached the ribs that will hold the sides.     …

Continue reading

Weekend Progress

I have bookmatched the top and back, sanding both smooth. I didn’t include a picture, because it looks just like the bookmatching post earlier. The plan tonight is to cut the teardrop shapes on the top and back, continue to uniformly thin them down and install the gluing strips on the back. I also added …

Continue reading

Bookmatching

I re-sawed a plankĀ usingĀ the table saw, finishing up with the bandsaw. Opening up the thin panels like a book gives us a nice mirror-image with the grain pattern.           The gluing of these panels is decidedly inelegant, but effective. Note to self: I really should rebuild the book matching jig I …

Continue reading

Diversions

The fret board is finished. About the same time, however, my main computer crashed. The new Windows 10 would not boot up, nor repair itself, so it is currently “what’s on the bench”.     I always use separate hard drives to store important data, so I decided to just purchase a new C: drive …

Continue reading