Most commented posts

  1. The Lucky Diamond Dulcimer — 2 comments
  2. Fretting, Gluing and Shaping — 1 comment
  3. Finishing the Top — 1 comment
  4. Sanding and Shaping — 1 comment
  5. Diversions — 1 comment

Author's posts

Finishing Touches

After trimming the board and working around the strum hollow, it’s time to add the string guide near the nut. After doing some final staining and a coat of polyurethane, I’m ready to attach the strings. And here’s the finished project:

Installing Frets

After cutting the walnut fingerboard and sanding it carefully to fit the existing fretboard, I used my 1/100 ruler to mark the fret pattern for a 28″ scale pattern. It’s a very delicate operation so I can’t rush it. I then use my Japanese fret saw to cut the frets. Once the frets are pressed …

Continue reading

Preliminary Work

After receiving permission to continue, I removed the frets and sanded down the fretboard, removing the previous slots and preparing it for the new fingerboard. Meanwhile, I trimmed and sanded the new fingerboard to prepare for fret installation.  

The latest Project

This one may prove to be a bit of a challenge. Elsie had asked if I could lower the action on a dulcimer she had been given. On closer inspection, this instrument really needed some TLC to be fully playable. It has a really beautiful shape and a nice sound, but the fretboard was a bit …

Continue reading


Dulcimer #45 is complete, as of this morning. The tuning pegs are Grover Sta-tite friction pegs and the strings are Vega banjo strings. Here I am with the new baby: And here is Lynn, the proud owner and co-designer:

Home Stretch

Now the major pieces are attached: The head and tail stock are secured to the soundboard.           The back is added.             Trimming up.             Adding the sides.        

Working on the Soundboard

Working late last night, I cut the sound holes and secured the fretboard. It’s coming along…

Moving Along

Once again, playing catch-up with this posting–working on the dulcimer around other projects and diversions–these are snapshots from the past week. I’m excited to get to the point where I don’t stop until I have to let glue dry. This is the top (soundboard) re-sawn and bookmatched.               The peg …

Continue reading

Fretting, Gluing and Shaping

This entry is actually several day’s work put together. Wednesday afternoon was my last day of school, so my calendar just cleared up a bit. The fretboard requires the most precise work. The board is complete, and the rough shapes of the peg head and tailstock are cut and clamped.           …

Continue reading

New Project

After she saw Jean’s new dulcimer, Lynn and I have worked out most of the details of her new teardrop instrument. Here is the first post of the initial sketches and raw fretboard.